Sunday, December 16, 2007

Good Read: Steven Rinella on hunting

I literally got chills reading this NY Times Op-Ed on hunting wild game. It explores the obvious yet completely ignored relationship between "eating local" and hunting.


A couple of choice quotes.

EVERY year, 15 million licensed hunters head into America’s forests and fields in search of wild game. In New York State alone, roughly half a million hunters harvest around 190,000 deer in the fall deer hunting season — that’s close to eight million pounds of venison. In the traditional vernacular, we’d call that “game meat.” But, in keeping with the times, it might be better to relabel it as free-range, grass-fed, organic, locally produced, locally harvested, sustainable, native, low-stress, low-impact, humanely slaughtered meat.


...the literature of localism neglects the management and harvest of wildlife. This is a shame, because hunters are the original locavores. When I was growing up in Michigan, my family ate three or four deer every year, along with rabbits, squirrel, ducks and grouse that were harvested mostly within eight miles of our house.


I wholeheartedly agree.

RELATED: Killing Chickens, or Where Food Comes From

2 comments:

Mallow said...

I can't even remember how I just found your blog, but I love it! Thanks for posting about this article - it was great, and I have been preoccupied with this subject lately.

Ali Scheff said...

thanks mallow. I come from a hunting family--my dad took me for my first duck hunt when I was 9--so this hits close to home.