Thursday, December 20, 2007

Food News: Yours Truly lands a choice gig

I've been letting it sink in.

When you're applying for a job that's pretty close to your dream job it's easy to get caught up in the trying-to-get-it part, so much so that when you finally get the news, the really great news, you're a bit stunned. That part isn't as well-thought-out. It takes time to sink in.

So it's been a couple weeks and I still don't have a clever way to tell you, so here goes: I'm the new Seattle Magazine Dining Editor!

image via Kitchencon.com

I'm taking over for Sara Dickerman, an inestimably smart food writer who I suspect we'll be seeing lots of national pieces from in the near future (and by that I mean, even more than she already does). I'm honored, invigorated and, frankly, a little intimidated. It's all a great bundle of nerves and happy fear right now.

But at the core of the feeling is a thrill, and a sense of anticipation. I love writing about restaurants. I think it's what I do best. I was blessed to do it for 6+ years, here in Seattle and then in NYC (if you care, you can read more about my work experience here), and it feels really damn good to be back home and back in the game. I love food, I love cooking and I love restaurants. And I'm guessing I'm going to love this new job.

I'll be writing four restaurant pieces a month for Seattle Mag: The "feature" review, plus two short reviews and a "cheap eats" place. There are also a couple more foodie things including the a Letter From the Editor-ish piece. The bummer is that I won't be reviewing restaurants on this blog anymore. But I hope you'll follow me over there, and let me know what you think.

The first piece you'll see from me is an oyster feature in the February Issue, followed by a feature restaurant review in our March issue. Pick 'em up.



[where: 98101]

9 comments:

Tamijo said...

Congrats Ali!! This is wonderful news! Tim and I couldn't be happier for you. Way to go!!

Jane Tunks said...

That is the best news ever. Will I, arguably your biggest fan, be able to see the reviews online?

Ali Scheff said...

Thanks ladies!!
Janey, probably not, at least not in the near future. thanks for the kind words!

Leslie said...

Congrats! I am a new reader but I am really enjoying your posts - my vegetarian friend and I tried out Squid and Ink after your review (we pretty much agreed with your assessments although as a not-meat-eater and a not-really-meat-eater, our standards were a bit lower). So looking forward to seeing your other reviews, esp. cheap eats - good tips for those are also super. I seem to have an unending stream of houseguests and cheap eats become a requirement.

Dana said...

Holy crap, that's HUGE! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali. Longtime reader, first-time poster: Congrats on the new gig. If your husband wouldn't mind, I'd love to compare war wounds over a Campari and Brandade sometime. -SG

Lori Randall said...

Congrats! I heard the news from Rachael last week. Made us smile:)

Merry Christmas

Peabody said...

How wonderful for you! Hope it is everything you want it to be.

Meg said...

That's great, great news. I hope it's sunk in enough for you to be really relishing the thrill. Congratulations!