Monday, October 29, 2007

Good Read: Verlyn Klinkenborg on killing his pigs

Thanks to Grinder, I just read Verlyn Klinkenborg's succinct, thought-provoking and tender editorial on his journey from raising pigs to eating their meat.


It's four perfect paragraphs, so try to pencil in a reading.
Here's a taste:

Knowing that you’re doing something for the last time is a uniquely human fear. I thought that would be the hardest thing about having pigs. In fact, it’s not so hard, though it does remind me that humans have trouble thinking carefully about who knows what. One day soon I’ll step into the pen and give the pigs a thorough scratching, behind the ears, between the eyes, down the spine. Their tails will straighten with pleasure. It will be the last time. I will know it, and they simply won’t.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eating pigs is horrible, or any animal for that matter. who would make a website about killing pigs!? it is sick. I don't think you should have an animal and just kill it. I am a strong vegetarian and i am dong a world of good for those poor animals. I stand up for their rights.