Monday, September 10, 2007

Eating In: Fresh Summer Corn Fritters

Local corn was at its absolute peak last week, so I had to get some at the Columbia City Farmers Market. But then what?


I went to my favorite recipe site, Simply Recipes, to see what Elise had in her archives. And I found this recipe for corn fritters. I'm not sure I've ever fritted before, but one look at that recipe (and the pictures) and I knew I was the fritten kind.

I cut the recipe in half since it was just for Ed and me, but after making the fritters and the dipping sauce, we decided that the dipping sauce sucked and that it took away from the pure corn taste. So I made some changes to the recipe. Here's my version.

Fresh Summer Corn Fritters

2/3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
1/4 tsp dried chili flakes

1 egg
juice of 1 lime
1/4 c water
3 scallions, thinly sliced white and green parts
2 large or 3 medium kernels of white corn, cut off the cob
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste
Vegetable or corn oil for frying.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and spices together in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl beat egg slightly, then add lime juice and water. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.

Mix scallions, cilantro and corn in third bowl, then add to the flour-egg mixture. Stir to coat.



In a wide frying pan or saute pan, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan liberally. Heat over medium-high until oil is shimmering. Drop batter in 2 tablespoon portions and press down to flatten, leaving a little room between fritters.

Fry for 2-3 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Serve immediately with a little sour cream mixted with lime juice and cilantro.

Or do what we did and dig into some of the best tomatoes of our lives (from our garden!!) alongside the fritters.



Awesome summer dinner.

No comments: